Monday, May 5, 2014

Baby Trent

So I have a friend who is having her first baby. I wanted to make her something unique for her, not just a "standard" baby gift.
She likes very hard rock, so I thought maybe a band logo, and Nine Inch Nails seems like it could be simple to turn into a quilt block
So I googled for quilt patterns for Nine Inch Nails, and came up blank. The pattern looked pretty easy, so I looked into the quilt block creating software everyone seems to use. It's called Electric Quilt. However, it costs about $190.  Someday I'll probably get it, but not today. I thought about other options, like hiring someone to make the block, but then I found quilt assistant, which is free design software that can do paper piecing. 
After some stumbling around with the software, the first draft had 12 separate pieces to assemble.  But I figured out how to get all of them into one block.  Now I had my template and I was ready to pick fabric.

At first I was thinking about getting some babyish pattern fabrics, like little rattles or something, but when I was at the quilt store and looking at their sample quilts, I was afraid that NIN would get lost in the fabric pattern.  Instead I decided to go with the standard baby colors for both boys and girls, yellow and green, and I went with the most babyish fabric I could find.

It turned out kind of small, so I decided to make some type of border, but I wanted to stay with the theme, so we looked at three different fabric stores before we found a fabric that fit the theme.  CORN!

The logo was too small, and there was too much corn, so I wanted to cut it back a bit.  I was going to add more green and yellow, I even went to the store and got more, but once I cut it down, I liked the size it ended up, so I free motion quilted it, and finished it,  viola!  Here it is!


I think the baby is going to like it.

1 comment: